Thursday, September 19, 2013

He took me out for a swim

From my Tumblr

In a deserted area where the white sand gleamed under the heat of the young sun, our hearts were basking in a feeling we thought we had forgotten.

You looked at me with your half-opened eyes, took out your hand and said, “Let’s go.”

Thoughts lingered to a figure on the shore that was watching the tides roll by as they tickled her prune-like toes. But beneath the roaring of the wind and the explosion of the waves, I held on. I did not know where we were and how we were able to wade in the deep, but I was rattled by the need to drift away.

You stopped, wondered and asked if I could make it further, but I stared at the emptiness below my feet and I was unable to say anything.

Then I realized that although the horizon seemed terrifying and the vastness distant, I would look at you and adore how the water trickled from your fingertips and your eyelashes. I would whisper a "thank you" as the warmth of your hands comforted the dampness of mine after I told you how I felt about you. I would lean on your shoulder, look up at the clear sky, and close my eyes as I felt your hot breath and soft kisses on my forehead.

In that moment, all we had were the ocean bed and the painted hues changing above us as we watched the sun fall and rise, and fall and rise to the unknown.

.

As the time passed, I no longer felt the need to return to the land I once found refuge in. I stared at the horizon, looked away and marveled at the elegance of the waves beneath me.

I was surprised by this strong desire to stay longer than usual in between the barren shore and deep waters, and learn how to swim in both the stillness and rapidity. I happily waded and decided to plunge below the trenches at a different time when the skies would be much clearer and when I was braver and more skilled to tackle the waves.

2 comments: